A Parents and Citizens' Association (P&C) is a group of community minded people, parents and citizens, who take on a more formal role to assist the school in providing:
• feedback on school policies and activities
• additional resources to be used to enhance student learning
• parents with opportunities to be involved in their child's education.
Role of the P&C Association
The principal is the site manager and the Minister's representative. The P&C Association is there to work with the principal and the school community in a productive partnership to achieve the best possible outcomes for students. It is not the role of the P&C Association to interfere in the daily running of the school, which is the role of the principal. The principal's supervisor is the DETE Assistant Regional Director.
Functions of the P&C Association
• To foster community interest in educational matters.
• To encourage closer cooperation between the parents of students attending the school, other members of the community, staff and students of the school.
• To provide advice and recommendations to the principal of the school on issues and concerns in respect of students and the general operation and management of the school.
• To provide or assist in the provision of financial or other resources or services for the benefit of students of the school.
• To perform any other functions, not inconsistent with the Act, as the Minister may decide.